Welcome & Attendance
Mrs B Cheetham (Assistant Headteacher)
Mrs Caroline Wool (School Community Development Officer)
Mr A. Gowman (School Burser)
Mr Richard Eynon (E3+ Co-ordinator)
Year 13: Tom Grother, Harriett Costello
Year 12: Rhiannon Falshaw-Skelly
Year 11: Helen Needs, Matthew Ingram, Ben Hopkins
Year 10: Alysha Kettley, Aaron Parsons
Year 9: Sophie Gibbons, Leah Eyre, Alex Hickman, Callum Wareham
Year 8: Toni Russell
Year 7: Lauren Billet, Ioan Davies
BC welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced all new members.
Minutes from last meeting
No minutes from last meeting were discussed. CW explained the role of the council and future committee skills training. CW to arrange training.
BC explained the need for the council to set objectives for the year which identifies ways to move the school forward.
All representatives need to meet with class reps, HOY and speak during year assemblies to give feedback from meeting and establish agenda items for next meeting.
RE explained the success of the E3+ project over the last 3 years and highlighting the decrease in participation from KS4 onwards. This could be as a result of academic workload or outside school commitments. RE explained that the new funding criteria for the project, stipulates that we need to increase participation of KS 4 and 5.
RE requires a pilot group to look at the future planning needs of yr10+. All council members from yr10+ to be part of this pilot group with 3 representatives form yr9. Each member to nominate an additional 3 reps from yr 10-13.
As part of the school action plan, one of the targets is to look at how PSE is delivered and how it can be improved.
Mr Duggan, together with Mrs Cheetham, is developing a new structure for the delivery of PSE with yr 9+ receiving a qualification at the end of KS4.
A working group needs to be established to identify what should be included and how it can be delivered to have a more effective impact on students.
Members discussed the need for professionals to come and deliver such sessions as drug and alcohol, posters advertising services available within the school and the wider community, need for easier and more confidential access to services, and for sessions to be more hard hitting in its approach.
Agenda for next meeting.
The healthy school initiative is being led by Mrs Mortimer and last academic year the school achieved the first leaf of 6 needed to complete project and achieve healthy school status.
The council have been instrumental in developing the canteen healthy food menu, meeting the catering manger, Karen Morris to give student feedback on quality, cost etc of food being sold. As from this Monday, a cashless system has been introduced. The school will now be able to monitor what is being sold and parents will be able to request reports detailing pupil’s menu choices.
CW to arrange for Karen Morris to attend the next meeting.
Previously it was suggested that the school council would become automatic members of the eco schools committee. This is now not the case. As from September, Mr Swallow, the newly appointed geography teacher, will be establishing an environment club which will feed into the eco schools committee.
Council has a £500 budget. Members to look at options for spending the budget and feedback at next meeting.
Health & Safety
Council members can highlight health & safety issues in between meeting to the main office. Issues highlighted at this meeting:-
- Drainage problems throughout school.
- Stair access to language block gets very slippery in wet weather.
- Mats at the entrance of new block have disintegrated, AG to look at purchasing new mats for both of these areas.
- Need to restrict access to the school during break and lunch time. Agenda this for next meeting.
Any Other Business
AG distributed booklets for the proposed shelter areas from the new block and at the memorial bed adjacent to the lesser hall. Council members to give feedback on preferred option.
School discipline to be placed on the agenda for the next meeting.
Members highlighted that visitors to the school do not where the school is. Need to make signage more visible, proposed that this could be a project via the e3+ programme.
Date of Next Meeting
Thursday 18th November 2010 @ 9.30am in room 27.