If you have a problem or concern there are people at school who can probably help you.  Often your own friends are a good source of help, but sometimes you might need help from people with a little bit more life experience or training.  We have a nurse in school and also an Eye-to-Eye counselor.  The 6th form buddies are also trained counselors who can be sought out by any pupil.

Many people find it easier to share a problem anonymously using a computer.  If you would like some advice, or ideas, you can post your questions in the comments box below.  You do not have to put your real name.

Any questions you ask will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.  We will put your question or problem on the website having removed anything that we think might identify you.  We will also post advice from the school nurse, Eye to Eye counselor or anyone else who we think could help.  That way, your problem and the support given are there to help others.  If you would like to receive a more personal response, please give an email address.  Your email address and name will never be published on the website.
Unfortunately there are times in all our lives when we need a bit of support. Whether it’s exam stress, family problems or health worries, having someone to talk to, or a place to get reliable information is important. The following websites may be of help. We’d like to point out that Y Pant is not actually linked with any of these organisations (apart from Eye to Eye) but they are all well recognised in their own field.

Places to Go for Further Support

eye to eye

Eye to Eye is a confidential counselling service for young people with a base in Y Pant.

01443 204551

Samaritans provides confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide.

08457 90 90 90


You can call Childline on 0800 1111 about anything, no matter how big or small the problem. People call Childline about all sorts of things including worries about their future, bullying, pregnancy, abuse, problems in school and concerns about other people too.


Any health advice and information. Call 0845 4647 to speak to an NHS doctor or use their self-help guide. This should not be used instead of visiting your GP but can be a useful place to check minor worries.

FrankThe Frank website is an independent UK government funded advice and support centre for people worried about drugs. Call on 0300 123 6600 or email confidentially.  They also have a live chat feature on the website from 2pm to 6pm.

Think U KnowStay safe when using the internet, and if you have any concerns about sites then report them here. Think U Know is run by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre which is affiliated to the Police.


A free and confidential advice service for users of drugs and alcohol in Rhondda Cynon Taf. The service is also available for friends and families of drug and alcohol users.

01685 880090

Advice for children and parents about bullying.  Their advice line is 0808 800 2222.

Anti-bullying charity with support and advice.  They can be contacted on 020 7730 3300.

70 thoughts on “Problems?”

  1. Hi
    My son started in Year 7 today and loved it! We are a bit confused about the ability sets. Please can you explain the codes. His English book has 7Y2.
    Thanks Gemma Keane

    1. Year 7 are split into three broad bands.

      The S band has children in who have come in with the highest levels from primary school will work at a faster pace. All classes are the same. The P band will broadly cover the same work but at a slightly slower pace. The Y band has smaller class sizes and allows us to give a little more time and attention to those children who may need it.

      We review the banding throughout the year and will completely review all banding before moving into year 8.

    1. School nurse is in on Tuesdays – although not in today due to vaccinations. She is based in the office near room 73.

    1. The timetable for the last two weeks of this half term is being sent home with year 11 pupils today. Students will either be in normal lessons (for revision or coursework), exams or special revision sessions.

  2. Does the school provide information for Yr 11 students who do not want to continue into 6th form but would like to go to college.

    1. YES! Mr Bryn Jones will cover all options open to pupils but will focus on what Y Pant has to offer. The same information will be given to parents at the open evening.

    1. Sorry – the date I was originally given was incorrect. The date for the trip is 2nd to 4th July 2014.

  3. hello, this most probably sounds a bit silly but for christmas i’m expecting to get false nails because my nails are short and just wondering if your aloud to wear them to school and dont want to get told off for wearing them if your not ment to. thanx

    1. Well the school rules state that you should not be wearing nail varnish and this would include false nails. Enjoy them over Christmas and take them off on the last day of the holidays!

  4. My daughter needs to leave school late morning for an orthodontist appointment how do we go about this? Does she take a letter stating the time she needs to leave and when she is expected back and give it to her reg teacher or the office? Thanks

    1. Yes that’s right. Once the reg teacher has signed it reception will give her a slip to authorise her absence.

  5. Hello,
    I am trying to find an application form for my child to apply to your school but cannot find any information. How do I get a form?
    Thank you.

    1. I have asked someone to get back to you about this. It won’t be until next week though as we are on half-term at the moment.

  6. When do year 10 pupils go back to school after the summer holidays in 2013 I know it is septemper but what date is it please

  7. Hi, i’m a former pupil of Y Pant and i was wondering if the school could email me my predicted grades, as i have misplaced the sheet i was given. It would be much appreciated as i am trying to find a job before i start sixth form/college in september. Thank you.

  8. hey im just wondering does the school do or have any dance going on because i love dancing and would like to carry on with it.

  9. I’ve seen your reply about what dates work experiance might be last year, but do you know what dates Work Experiance is this year? I need to drop off my self placement form before the end of the hols but need to know the dates of Work Experiance first. I can’t find the dates on the website either. I would appreciate any help at all.

  10. Hi,
    I’ve just read the autumn news letter via parentmail and it states that the ESTYN parents booklet is attached at the end of the newsletter, but it’s not, and we only have until sept 29th to complete it online. Could you point this out please.


    1. The questionnaires were stapled to the newsletters that parents received home as hard copies (it was not attached to the email version). I can only suggest it might have become detached on the way home! Your child should be able to pick up a copy of the questionnaire from reception.

    1. Please check with the ICT technicians – are you year 7? If so I will double-check with them that year 7 have been added to Reach.

  11. What are the dates for work experience later this year? I know it’s in october, but I don’t know the date…

    1. Work experience for year 11 is usually the week before half-term in October. However it may change. It would be best to speak to Mr Duggan before making any plans.

  12. i’m going on holiday tuesday the 24th of may and i’m missing a few lessons e.g history and i won’t get the info for the exams/assessments so i need to know what i’m going to get for revision. are the history department going to give me a glossary again this year and if they are i won’t be here to get it so can i go and ask them for it?? are any other departments giving out anything else because if they are i need to knnow so i can go and ask for it.
    thank you.

    1. Rhianne
      If you are missing school for a holiday it is your responsibility to speak to each of your teachers to find out what you will be missing and also to plan when to catch up.

    1. Unfortunately Reach isn’t working at the moment. We are working to fix the problem or come up with an alternative. For the moment you need to bring a USB drive into school to take work home.

    1. Some counselling services are available through school. Please speak to the relevant Head of Year, or contact Assistant Headteacher Mrs. B. Cheetham for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: